Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Les aventures à l'hôpital

I'm sure a few of you read my last post (well the bottom of the last post) and were SO WORRIED about the state of my leg that you haven't been able to sleep since.

That is why I came home from the hospital and immediately sat down to write this blog. :)

I went to the Hanoi French Hospital which is, le meilleur dans la ville. Obviously. Call me crazy (ha!) but I have a thing with only going to the best medical facilities. A few of my doctors don't accept insurance, but i go anyway, because they are the best. This is not only because I am a bit of a hypochondriac, but also because I think your health is something you shouldn't mess around with.

So anyway, I get the French hospital and explain my situation: I burned my leg on saturday, tried to self medicate, in a lot of pain, worried about infection. They bring me upstairs to a French doctor and at this moment I am more grateful than ever that I have a French mother and can speak the language. This is not to say that the attending nurse who spoke English and french wouldn't suffice, but there is something comforting about being able to explain things in your own words and being able to understand what the doctor is saying without the assistance of a translator.

My doctor was great. He reminded me of someone, I can't think of who but the point is that he saw me right away, treated me, consulted me, gave me medication and I was fine.

Turns out I was right, i do have a second degree burn. but it is not infected and I will live. I even get to keep my leg!

the best part of the experience was that I was in and out of the emergency room in 20 minutes. i didn't have to wait at all. How many hospitals can you say that about in the US?

Exactly.

Ok I am heading back to school now. I'll blog later tonight. the topic will probably be about how crazy I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment