Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Teardrops on My Guitar

The other night, a small group of us sat in an apartment, drinking beer and watching Taylor Swift videos on YouTube. Actually, let me clarify...watching the LYRICS TO TAYLOR SWIFT songs on youtube while we sang along.

It was always exciting when someone's favorite part of the song came on and they announced "right here!!!!!" with an goofy grin.

Needless to say, there's not a whole to do in My Dinh.

While you all snort with laughter and think about how lame that sounds I'll have you know that I had a lot of fun. So much so that i went home and wrote an email of just song lyrics to Alex who actually ignored it which is a terrible thing to do but whatever.

Do I picture myself doing something similar when I go back home? Probably not. Though I will never say never because you never know when you are stranded at a concert and the only way home is hopping in a limo with a bunch of middle aged tourists who literally expected you to sing for the entire duration of the 45 minute car ride. ("I don't even like Nickleback" 'How do you know all the words to Taylor Swift's "Our Song?"

When I came to Vietnam six years ago with my family, I was struck by many things. Obviously, I loved it or else I wouldn't have returned. One thing that really stuck out to me (and this is really sad) was how great the coffee is here.

Those of you who know me well know that this is a HUGE statement for me.

Being born to a British mother means that I am predisposed to love tea, and I do. Too much. I am unfailingly loyal to tea. British tea. Not the junk they give you in an American supermarket. I trek to West Village in the freezing cold and pay $15 for a box of the good stuff. I drink it three times a day and have the mindset that no matter how bad it is, a cup of tea will help. (try it, it does!)

I have grown up rejecting coffee. Barely touch the stuff, the OCCASIONAL cappuccino after dinner. But I am NOT a coffee addict like so many of my peers. But here? In Vietnam. I have it every day. it's just SO GOOD HERE. It's one of the things I was looking forward to when I thought about coming here. It had a tantalizing taste and gives you a wonderful jolt. I love love love it. (And I apologize to Tetley's for cheating on you...but it's just a fling, I'll be back. promise!)

Don't worry everyone, I haven't done a complete 180. I may be nicer, slightly more confident, coffee drinker and a hot biker chick now...but I am still super awkward.

I will leave you with my favorite lyrics from the Taylor Swift song which the title of this blog is named for...

(And it's no secret that the lyrics remind me of a certain someone)

good lyrics:
____ walks by me, can he tell that i can't breathe?
And there he goes, so perfectly
The kind of flawless I wish I could be

No comments:

Post a Comment